Για τα Ελληνικά πατήστε εδώ
Thessaloniki, Halkidiki, Kavala all popular cities, part of Macedonia: One destination thousand of different pictures! An unforgettable seaside paradise, a mosaic of images, lakes, rivers (Delta of Nestos with its rich flora – fauna. a variety and rarity of the species that cannot be found anywhere else), mountains, archaeological sites (Vergina), a place that everybody should visit once upon a life!
Find out more about the campings (that include resorts, rooms, studios or bungalows available for rental), outdoor activities such as rafting, wind or kite surfing, trekking, important monuments, caves, arhaelogical sites that you can visit while being in Macedonia cities during vacations.
The highest mountain of Greece Olympos is located in Pieria Prefecture. Olympos constitues a unique ecosystem with gorge, caves and more than 1.500 types of plants, dozens of animal species and many rare birds. Some of the most important sites of Pieria are:
- Ancient Dion
- The castle of Platamon
- Enipeas gorge for trekking (near Enipeas river) with beautiful nature scenery
- Palaios Panteleimonas, a tradiotional stone complex of settlements for coffee or food or even for a walk in the picturesque side streets.
- The indian village Jiomakoua in Elatochori of Pieria, where a visitor can live like the Indians (rent a tent), go for horse riding, practice archery and a lot of other interesting activities. Apart from accomodation the village offers meals too (a restaurant is existing there). In Elatochori of Pieria there is also a ski resort (very popular during winter months).
The archaeological city of Ancient Dion, Pieria Prefecture
The castle of Platamon, Pieria Prefecture
Indian village Jiomakoua, Elatochori, Pieria Prefecture
Pieria prefecture includes a coastal line of about 80 km with beautiful sea shores such as Korinos, Katerini, Litochoro, Plaka, Leptokarya, Skotina, Panteleimona, Platamona, Neon Poron. There are a lot of camping installations too, offering to the visitors the opportunity to rent a tent, room, bungalow, cabin, studios etc.
At the beach of Panteleimona there is a) the camping Poseidon (it offers bungalows for rental), b) the camping Heraklia (all relevant info is available through facebook page), c) the camping Esperides (it offers family rooms for rental).
Neos Panteleimonas Beach, Pieria Prefecture
At the beach of Palaios Panteleimonas there is the camping Filippion (it offers bungalows or maisonettes for rental). At the beach of Neos Panteleimonas there is the camping Hellas, the camping Castle (it also offers bungalows for rental) and the camping Orpheus.
Plaka Beach, Pieria Prefecture
At Plaka beach, near Litochoro of Pieria, there is a) the luxury camping Olympos Beach (it offers caravans, bungalows and villas for rental), b) the camping Olympios Zeus (it also offers bungalows for rental).
Variko Beach, Pieria Prefecture
At Variko beach, near Litochoro there is a) the camping Stolos, b) the camping Variko Beach (it also offers bungalows for rental). At Korinos beach there is the camping Odysseia (it offers bungalows and caravans for rental). At Gritsa beach, near Litochoro there is a) the camping Evridiki (the relevant information is available through facebook page) b) the camping Mitikas (it also offers rooms for rental). At Methoni there is the camping Agiannis (it also offers rooms for rental).
Litochoro Beach, Pieria Prefecture
Pieria prefecture has been surrouned by huge mountain lines and due to its distinguishable geomorphology is a beloved destination for those who like mountaineering and hiking excursions, paragliding, wind and kite surfing at the beaches of Platamonas and Neoi Poroi.
Pieria’s beaches from above
While staying in a camping you can also organize a daily excursion to nearby cities and have the opportunity to explore interesting sites and live unforgettable moments during vacations. Some of these places are:
- The marvellous Pozar thermal springs (located in Loutraki, Aridea, Pella Prefecture) in a greeny natural scenery. Τhis location is about 1.30h distance by car from Katerini, capital city of Pieria. Pozar thermal springs offer balneotherapy for those who suffer from rheumatisms, arthritis, ailments of the peripheral nerves, gynecological and skin ailments, sprains, fractures.
Pozar thermal springs, Loutraki Arideas, Pella Prefecture
- The museum of the Kings’ Tombs of Vergina (in village of Aigai of Imathia Prefecture). Τhis location is about 1h distance by car from Katerini.
The archaeological site of Vergina (museum), Imathia Prefecture
- Edessa’s waterfalls, Pella Prefecture. Τhis location is about 1.30h distance by car from Katerini.
Edessa’s waterfalls, Pella Prefecture
- The thicket of Agios Nikolaos in Naoussa, Imathia Prefecture. Τhis location is almost a little bit over 1h distance by car from Katerini.
Thicket of Agios Nikolaos, Naoussa, Imathia Prefecture
Thessaloniki is the second biggest city of Greece. It is built near the sea of Thermaikos gulf, its habitants are very friendly and hospitable, there are a lot of monuments of importance, beautiful coasts, castles and Aristotelous square with a lot of cafes, restaurants intense day and night life.
Some of the most worth-to-see sites are:
- The Byzantine Castles and the famous Genti Koule (with a panoramic view of the city side, an ideal place for a walk, coffee or food)
- Ladadika the hot spot of the city with taverns, cafe, clubs and restaurants
- The White Tower the trademark of the city.
In Epanomi beach there is the only camping of this prefecture and it is called Akti Retzika, and it also offers bungalows or studios for rental. Thessaloniki is also very close to Halkidiki with its unique coastal lines with crystal blue waters (there will be extended reference below).
Thessaloniki prefecture has also a lot of thermal springs in the following areas:
- Lagadas, (these thermal springs offer balneotherapy for rheumatisms, arthritis, gynecological ailments, skin ailments, kidney problems, mineral water drinking therapy for ailments of the gastrointestinal and urinary system)
- Sedes, (therapeutic for those who suffer from rheumatisms, arthritis, ailments of the peripheral nerves, skin ailments, post trauma conditions, gynecological ailments)
- Souroti, of municipality of Thermi. The natural resource of Souroti spring, is indicated for hydrotherapy in the form of mineral water drinking therapy for diseases of the gastrointestinal system, nephrolithiasis and iron deficiency anemia, as well as in the form of balneotherapy in cases of mild peripheral obstructive vasculopathy and mild arterial hypertension.
- Nea Apollonia, of municipality of Volvi (therapeutic for those who suffer from chronic rheumatisms and degenerative injuries, gynecological ailments, neuritis, neuralgia, allergic skin ailments, ailments of the urinary tracks of the kidneys, liver, gall bladder, mineral water drinking therapy for ailments of the gastrointestinal system, inhalation therapy for infections of the upper respiratory system).
Thessaloniki Prefecture has also an airport and a port which has a ferry connection with the islands: Skiathos, Skopelos, Alonnisos, Lesvos, Mykonos, Limnos, Chios, Rhodes, Samos, Chania and Heraklion, Crete and Piraeus.
Epanomi Beach, Thessaloniki Prefecture
Epanomi Beach from above
From Thessaloniki (just like Katerini city mentioned above) you can implement a daily road excursion to nearby cities and very interesting sites such as:
- The museum of the Kings’ Tombs of Vergina (in village of Aigai of Imathia Prefecture). Τhis location is less than an 1h distance by car from Thessaloniki.
- Edessa’s waterfalls, Pella Prefecture. Τhis location is less than an 1h distance by car from Thessaloniki.
- Pozar thermal springs (located in Loutraki, Aridea, Pella Prefecture) in a greeny natural scenery. Τhis location is about 1.30h distance by car from Thessaloniki.
- The thicket of Agios Nikolaos in Naoussa, Imathia Prefecture. Τhis location is almost a little bit less than 1.30h distance by car from Thessaloniki.
- Agios Athanasios is a stone-builted village in Pella Prefecture. It is located near Kaimaktsalan ski resort (Vorras Mountain), it is ideal for its routes for ski and snowboard. It is located about 2h distance by car either from Thessaloniki or Katerini.
- Skra’s waterfalls and Emerald lake, in Kilkis Prefecture. Τhis location is less than 1.30h distance by car from Thessaloniki.
- Saint George’s cave in Kilkis Prefecture, one of the most important caves of Greece, due to the fact that it is medically indicated as suitable for the treatment of respiratory diseases. The cave of Kilkis has proved to be ideal and accumulated all the conditions as a cave-therapy center, with beneficial effects in cases of chronic respiratory diseases (asthma) and with particularly good results to children, in the treatment skin diseases from allergic infections and overall rejuvenation of the human body. It is located about 1h distance by car from Thessaloniki.
- Another marvellous cave is the Cave of the Dragon in Kastoria Prefecture. It is located about 2h distance by car from Thessaloniki.
Agios Athanasios, Pella Prefecture
Skra’s waterfalls, Kilkis Prefecture
Cave of the Dragon, Kastoria Prefecture
Thessaloniki is a city surrounded by mountains and the funs of hiking trails can enjoy the beauties of the nature scenery through walking paths. Chortiatis mountain, has also a lodge offering accomodation and food as well as they organize hikings excursions.
Halkidiki is the garden of paradise, one of the best journeys! The visitors repeat their vacations every year here, because the reasons are so many: Crystal light blue and turquoise waters, caves, sandy beaches, wild and cosmopolitan places of interest, intense night life all of these in combination with the greeny landscape of pine trees compose a dreamy destination.
The peninsula of Halkidiki consists of three smaller peninsulas: Kassandra, Sithonia and Athos Mountain (Holly Mountain due to its monasteries). Some of the most important places of interest are:
- Petralona cave (in Moudania, Halkidiki). This cave is known for its famous skull of an ancient man, the Archanthropus (i.e. an archaic Homo sapiens).
- The ancient city of Olynthos with its remarkable ruins (a few klm distance from Nea Moudania area).
- The ancient Stagira, place of birth of Aristotle (in Olympiada area of Halkidiki).
Halkidiki apart from marvellous coast lines, has also the most, in number, campings than any other prefecture of Greece. The presentation will take place in random series and will include only those campings which are organized and near the sea. A lot of campings in Halkidiki are luxurious and offer studios, bungalows, equipped rooms and appartments for rental. Armenistis is a camping located in Sithonia, Halkidiki and it offers mobile homes, beach houses, caravans, tents and youth hostels for rental.
Armenistis Beach, Sithonia Halkidiki
In Kalamitsi Sithonia, there are: a) Porto Kalamitsi camping, it offers rooms and bungalows for rental b) Thalatta Kalamitsi Village Camp, it offers mobile homes, wooden mobile huts, caravans and luxury tents for rental, c) Tsitreli camping which it offers caravans, mobile houses, rooms and maisonettes for rental.
Kalamitsi Beach, Sithonia Halkidiki
In Neos Marmaras there are: a) Stavros camping (it also offers appartments for rental), b) Areti camping (it also offers bungalows and cottages for rental), c) Marmaras camping (it offers tents and caravans for rental), d) Castello camping (it also offers rooms, mobile homes, campers, caravans and tents for rental).
Neos Marmaras Beach, Sithonia Halkidiki
In Tristinika Sithonia there is the camping Iza and Anamour (which offers tents with all inclusive equipment for rental). A few kilometers away, in Vourvourou beach there are a) the camping Lacara (it offers tents, bungalows, bamboohuts, caravans, mobile homes for rental), b) Akti Oneirou (it offers bungalows, wooden bungalows, mobile homes and caravans for rental), c) camping Rea (it offers caravans for rental).
In Ammouliani island, there is the camping Alikes. Ammouliani is reachable by boat from Tripiti beach, near Ouranoupoli. In Metamorfosi, Sithonia there is a) the camping Sunny Bay (it offers tents or caravans for rental) b) the camping Sithon (it offers tents, built rooms and built tents for rental). In Akti Zografou beach, Saint Nikolaos Sithonia there is the camping Porto Elea (it offers villas, mobile homes, rooms and apartements for rental), In Nikiti beach, Sithonia, there is the camping Mitari (it offers also mobile homes for rental) and in Sarti beach there is the camping Platanitsi. In Nea Roda beach, Komitsa there is the camping Komitsa. very close to Holly Mountain (Mount Athos) and it offers tents, hut homes, caravans and rooms for rental. In Ouranoupolis there is the camping Ouranoupoli (it offers luxury bungalows for rental). In Melissi, Sithonia there is the camping Melissi, in Gerakini beach there is the camping Kouyoni (it offers bungalows for rental).
Ouranoupoli Beach, Halkidiki
In Sikia beach, Sithonia there are a) the camping Pitsoni (it offers tents or caravans for 2-3-4 persons) b) the camping Valti (it offers caravans, villas or houses for rental) c) the camping Paradisos d) the camping Katerina e) Linaraki Studios and camping (which offers bungalows or studios or apartments for rental).
Sikia Beach, Sithonia Halkidiki
In Possidi beach (Kalandra area of Halkidiki) there is the camping Possidi (it offers tents, caravans wooden houses or studios for rental.
Possidi Beach, Kassandra Halkidiki
The most beautiful coasts of Kassandra’s peninsula Halkidiki
In Nea Moudania there is the camping Ouzouni Beach. In Kriopigi beach there is the camping Kriopigi. In Sani Beach, Kassandra peninsula there is the camping Blue Dream (it offers tents, caravans and rooms for rental). In Kallikratia beach there is the camping Aigeas (it offers caravans for rental).
Sani Beach, Kassandra Halkidiki
Kavourotripes Beach, Sithonia Halkidiki
Paliouri Beach, Kassandra Halkidiki
Karidi Beach, Sithonia Halkidiki
In Kassandra peninsula there are the thermal springs of Santa Paraskevi therapeutic for those who suffer from bone and joint diseases, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, elystiki osteoarthritis, discopathy, myalgia- myositis, tendinitis, old fractures and cervical syndrome.
Halkidiki has also enough smaller islands such as Ammouliani, Drenia, Diaporos, Kelifos) which you can visit for a daily cruise. For further information you can press here.
Ammouliani island, near Tripiti Beach, Ouranoupoli
Ammouliani island and Drenia island from above
Diaporos island, near Vourvourou Beach, Sithonia Halkidiki
Diaporos island from above
The most beautiful coastal lines of Halkidiki
Holly Mountain, Athos peninsula, Halkidiki
Kavala is consider the Mecca of tobacoo since thousands of tobacco workers, male and female, earned their living in the past. Today Kavala is a modern coastal city, with its chic shops, cafes, bars as well as a tobacco warehouses that has been transformed into a shopping center.
Some of the most important sites of Kavala are:
- The Castle (or else the Acropolis of Kavala, with its panoramic view the trademark of the city.
- Imaret, which was initially a religious, educational and charity center. The word Imaret in Arabic language comes from “imara” which means construction. From year 2001 this construction was given from the Egypt State to a civilian for full reconstruction and transformation to a luxury hotel.
- Kamares, the arched roman aqueduct.
- The ancient theathre and the archaeological site of Philippi.
Castle (Acropolis) Kavala
Archaeological site of Filippi, Kavala Prefecture
The coastal lines of Kavala are expanded in decades of kilometres and the picturesque beaches are so many such as: Batis, Toska, Perigiali, Rapsani, Kalamitsa, Nea Irakleitsa, Ammolofoi, Ammoglossa of Keramoti, Kariani. From Nea Iraklitsa beach you can visit by boat the small rocky island of Fidonisi with emerald waters.
Toska beach, Kavala Prefecture
Ammolofoi beach from above
In Nea Karvali beach there is the camping Alexandros (it offers wooden bungalows or rooms for rental). In the 4th klm of the old national road of Thessaloniki – Kavala there is the multiplec camping of Batis (it offers caravans for rental). In Nea Iraklitsa there is the camping Paradiso.
Nea Karvali beach, Kavala Prefecture
Kavala has a ferry connection with Samos island, Lesvos, Limnos, Ikaria, Chios and Piraeus port. Kavala is also known for its sugar buns with almonds.
For those who like hiking excursions, there is the “Water Road“a footpath of about 10 klm where the visitor meets a lot of important sites of the area (such as old bridges, stony paths, churches, forests and springs).
Kavala is also known for its thermal springs in Krinides mud baths, near Delta of Nestos’ river (offer balneotherapy for the ailments of the musculoskeletal system, mineral water drinking therapy for the gastrointestinal and urinary system, therapeutic clay for those who suffer from autoimmune diseases, rheumatisms and skin ailments). In Paranesti, Drama Prefecture, about 1hour distance by car from Kavala, there are the thermal springs of Thermia (they offer balneotherapy for the ailments of the musculoskeletal system, rheumatism, autoimmune diseases, as well as in cases of mild peripheral obstructive vasculopathy and mineral water drinking therapy for the gastrointestinal and the urinary system).
The coasts of Kavala from above
Kavala is located in a flexible point. A visitor who stays in Kavala, has the ability to participate on a daily road excursion to nearby sites of importance such as:
- Cave of Alistrati, in Nea Zichni of Serres Prefecture (about 1h distance by car from Kavala).
Alistrati Cave, Serres Prefecturet
- The archaelogical site of Amphipolis, Serres Prefecture (less than 1h distance by car from Kavala).
Leon of Amphipolis, Serres Prefecture
- The Fort of Roupel, in Promachonas, Serres Prefecture (a memorial symbol of heroism, self-sacrifice and courage and resistance against nazism during World War II). It is located in a distance of about 2h driving by car from Kavala.
Fort of Roupel, Serres Prefecture
- The gorge and the bridge of Aggitis‘ river, in Serres Prefecture. Its a unique in beauty gorge and the visitors can taste fresh trouts and the most dareful to do rafting and kayak along the river as well as trekking in the beautiful paths. The gorge is less than 1.30h distance by car from Kavala.
Aggiti gorge and river, Serres Prefecture
- Agia Varvara’s park, in Drama Prefecture (one of the most interesting and beautiful parks of Europe). It is located in a distance less than 1h driving by car from Kavala.
Agia Varvara Park, Drama Prefecture
- Delta of Nestos river (with its protected bird species, the fertile valleys, the gorges) it is an ideal destination for rafting and canoe-kayak. It is located in a distance of half an hour by car from Kavala.
Nestos river, Kavala Prefecture
Would you like to discover the islands of Greece? Then visit:
- Ionian Islands
- Cyclades Islands
- Sporades Islands
- Crete Island
- The Islands of North-east Aegean Sea
- Dodecanese Islands
Would you like to find out more useful information about vacations in the inland parts of Greece? Then have a look at:
The most amazing coasts of Greek islands are here. Just click below and dream on being there:
“My warmest wishes for unforgettable journeys in Greece”